Saturday, October 16, 2004

Morning Adventures

All week, I’ve been planning to get some pictures of the sunrise from my favorite spot. Friday night’s sunset was incredible so I was inspired to get up early Saturday and meet the day with a camera. South Mountain, here in Phoenix, is the largest municipal park in the country. This mountain is cleverly named as it lies south of the downtown area. The view from the north side of the mountain allows a fine view the greater metropolitan area. The south face is my favorite as it overlooks the open desert. I know of a great spot on the south side that allows a fantastic view of the sunrise this time of year with no city lights to ruin the effect.

I left the house just after 5:00. I figured I would have plenty of time to set up and enjoy. As I reached the road leading to the park, I see a road sign indicating that the park is closed. Now, I want you to recall the scene from National Lampoons Vacation. The first one, with the Griswold family traveling to Wally World. Once they reach the gates of Wally World, they’re greeted by John Candy who advises that the park is closed. Are you with me? I just couldn’t accept the fact that the park was closed. You can’t close Wally World! I drove to the first entrance and, sure enough, two park rangers were waiting to give me the bad news. They did however explain that only the road to the top was closed and I might be able to take a few shots from another spot.

Feeling somewhat relieved and hoping to salvage my trip, I followed their directions and scouted a few spots. I wasn’t what I wanted but I found a decent area so I started climbing. Did I mention that it’s still dark? Do you remember that this is the desert? Even in October, there are still snakes lurking around. I think to myself, “Hey, I owe it to my internet friends to get some pictures. I need to spruce the blog up a bit.” So, braving any unseen dangers, I made my way up to the most likely looking place. The sun rises quickly here in the southwest so it wasn’t long until the first rays of light began creeping over the horizon. The color looked great, a few clouds were hanging just above the sun. I guessed just a few minutes remained until I would get the shot I wanted. Then, as quickly as what I thought would be another perfect sunrise started, it turned to crap. The colors faded and all I got for my trouble was a plain yellow orb popping over a mountain in the distance.

As I sat, disappointedly staring at an unused camera, I carefully considered that even a “bad” sunrise from a quiet spot in the desert is better than any magically colored rays of sun viewed from a car stuck in traffic.

I will try again tomorrow. There is a trail leading up to my spot. They couldn’t have closed that. Sure, it takes an hour to hike up there but it might make the experience all the more rewarding.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kym. said...

Thanks for the enormous effort to share the beautiful sunrise with us... I've been to Arizona once, I still remember how tremendous and breathtaking it was there. So... now I want to see the picture, Matt! Red or orange or yellow or blue, it does not matter, NO excuses this time! A picture!
Oh, but glad to hear that you did not have to be "violent" like the Griswolds there at the gate of Wally World. BTW, the family was such a hurricane in Europe, too, huh...Gosh!
Kym.

5:48 PM  
Blogger Borya said...

Don't worry! I still don't have pics myself of a sunrise over the mountains. And the snow is already coming down so I have to wait until next year! Here too we have to get up at 5am the latest to go up. Last time I did this was in May. It was supposed to be shown to a woman who refused because of not having had enough sleep. So I went up alone. :-)

12:23 PM  
Blogger Adam Solomon said...

That's why we love you, Matt, putting your own life in jeopardy to get some nice pictures for us :) lol...Good luck with that tomorrow morning!!

5:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home