Sunday, October 17, 2004

Another Great Morning

The one thing about the desert that surprises some people is the amount of life in it. There is a misconception that the desert must be dead, that nothing could live in such an inhospitable environment. Nothing could be further from the truth.

I went to sleep last night feeling a little beat up. I wanted to get up early again and head for South Mountain but after working on refinishing the kitchen table most of the afternoon, I wasn’t feeling up to an early morning. I didn’t set the alarm but woke up at 4:30 anyway. I figured that meant I was supposed to go. I knew I wouldn’t make the hike so I drove to a spot I thought might work well for some photos. Bad choice, too many power lines in the way. I drove to the parking area for my favorite trail and walked a bit. Once I left the parking lot, the stillness of the desert set in. There were no planes overhead, no cars driving past, just silence. I stood in the dark, looking for a good spot and heard coyotes calling to one another. The birds started to chirp, waking up to meet the sun. It was as though they kept quiet, hiding from me until they knew it was safe to make their presence known.

I found a decent little hill and started up, avoiding the cholla cactus. The spines of this plant will penetrate through your shoes. Once at the top, I found a nice flat area to enjoy the sunrise. Sitting cross-legged I listened to the sounds of the desert waking. A gentle breeze started to blow from the west. As the light started to grow from the east, the clouds on the horizon started to take shape. This should make for a good show.

To the south, beautiful shades of pink, red, and purple started to appear against the mountains. Fewer clouds there made for better color. Straight ahead of me, the sun played in the heavier clouds. Rays of light would shine through and in a moment, disappear. I leaned back, watching the puffs of white clouds drift across the perfect blue of the sky. I could do this every day for the rest of my life and never tire of it. This seemingly dead place replenishes what you didn’t realize had worn low. You can stop and watch the world go by.

I did get some pictures. Hopefully, they will capture the same feeling I was able to experience first hand. As soon as I can, I will post them here.

5 Comments:

Blogger Borya said...

Great stuff! We owe you something. What about Adam catching the early morning in Central Park? ;-)
You would have loved this morning here, Matt. I had to catch up my usual train at 7:30am at a station 25km away. The town (the once in my blog mentioned Murnau) lies a few km in front of the first mountains of the Alps. The train's heading north. Only a minute later you get to see the whole skyline of the Alps, the mountains still dark black and the sky above and behind in deep orange, faint yellow. High above some clouds, reflecting the colour. I wish I had a camera with me but who takes one when going to work!?! :-(

9:38 AM  
Blogger Kym. said...

Matt, Borya,
...Beautiful!
Hm, I should try to get up ealier once....
Kym.

2:17 PM  
Blogger Borya said...

Kym, simply go to bed an hour later than you usually do! Shouldn't be that difficult. ;-)

10:16 AM  
Blogger Adam Solomon said...

Boris--I would if Central Park didn't take me over an hour to get to! I don't live in the city itself, ya know ...:)

Matt--Pictures please :D

11:56 AM  
Blogger Kym. said...

Borya - Well, actually... I will. You are right, it's much easier, I guess, than to get up early. :-P

Matt - Pictures, please!

Kym.

4:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home