Friday, June 17, 2005

The Rest of the Story

Well, the word is out. OL's joke about bribing me to write my review of the Tucson show lets me share the rest. In addition to seeing a great show last Thursday and finally meeting Ottmar, I was also witness to what an exceptionally fine person he is.

When tickets went on sale for the show in Phoenix, I purchased two. Tradition holds that my oldest daughter and I attend the show together. Shortly after the Phoenix show was announced, the Tucson show was scheduled. How could I resist? I was able to purchase two more tickets for that show and again, planned to go with my daughter. Then things got interesting. My son is nine and has been listening to OL to help him focus and at night to help him slow down. He decided that he’s like to see the concert. Shortly after, my wife decided that she wanted to go as well.

Meanwhile, OL and I had discussed how my son had been listening to his music, the results on his behavior, and how he would attend the show with me. Ottmar mentioned how he was looking forward to meeting my son. When we meet after the show on Thursday, he mentioned meeting my son and I again on Sunday. I told him that I still wasn’t sure who was going with me as my wife wanted to go as well.

On Friday morning, I checked my e-mail and found a note from Ottmar. He had a photo pass and an extra ticket waiting for me at the Phoenix venue so my son and my wife could attend.

It may seem like a little thing, but I’m still blown away. My son saw his first concert and had a great time and my wife saw her first OL show.

I wasn’t sure what would meeting Ottmar would be like. I know him from his diary, from the personal e-mails I try to keep to a minimum, and the music he shares with all of us. Who is he really? I can’t say that I know all about him but, after a nice conversation face to face, I couldn’t be more impressed. I look forward to our next meeting.

7 Comments:

Blogger Luz said...

Wow, I'm impressed. I'm sure you're still blown away! Nice blog.

8:08 PM  
Blogger MissMichindo said...

it's really phenomenal when the people we have admired from afar not only meet but exceed our expectations. when i was 18, this album came out by a kid from chicago named jonny polonsky. it was the most exciting record i'd heard in a long time and i was able to get on the guest list for his show in detroit (this was when i still worked at the record store). i watched his set and then set out to say hello to him. imagine how far my heart sank into my shoes when he asked me first for drugs, then for sex.
jonny polonsky, way to harsh my mellow.

8:27 PM  
Blogger Just Me said...

Oh Matt, that is sooooo exciting!

6:39 AM  
Blogger Borya said...

that's a wonderful story and it's nice to read that there's a flow between the two of you caused by exchanging views on raising children. well, that's all like a big story what's happening here around the web, the blogs. like a fairy-tale of the computer-age. and it's thrilling to witness, it gives me a lot because i still have to face that i may never will actually see him perform, not speaking of talking with him.
well done, matt callahan.

12:08 PM  
Blogger Adam Solomon said...

Wow!! That sounds incredible. I'm still reeling from my meeting with him, which I feel I really wasted--I was just starting there in awe! It went by much too fast. But it seems like you and him truly had a great conversation, and...well, isn't it just amazing what he does for us, the fans? No one like him...no one :)

4:33 PM  
Blogger Just Me said...

Adam, OL does have an amazing fan base, though! You've all certainly made me feel welcome from the very start. So glad I found all of you. I think it's the personal connection that was obvious the minute I happened upon OL's blog; it just seems natural that it would continue upon meeting him especially for those of you who have been around so long.

4:40 PM  
Blogger Adam Solomon said...

It's really a self-feeding cycle, I think, Heather. It starts, actually, with the music--you don't have the schmucks and putzes who make up much of the fanbases of a lot of rock and (especially) rap groups, obviously, listening to nouveau flamenco, it's a kind of the music that's really conducive to good people, who can appreciate that kind of beauty. And then, with a great little fanbase like that, Ottmar's more willing to make the relationship with them a bit more personal, and each side feeds off the other.

1:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home