Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Winter Solstice

I'm thinking of taking the next year and creating my own celebration in the name of the solstice. Of course, I'd have to observe the summer solstice as well just to keep things fair. I wonder if I could sell some card ideas to Hallmark?

I can see it now, people greeting each other with a heartfelt, "Have a super solstice!". There could be solstice salsa and chips along with a super soaker solstice celebration in the summer. This could be big.

I'm of to listen to Ottmar Liebert's Winter Solstice from the CD Christmas + Santa Fe. I wonder if I could convince him to compose a summer solstice buleria?

Side note: Took a surprise trip to the Grand Canyon last Sunday. Pictures to come as soon as the caveman film is developed.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kym. said...

Why don't we start right now...
Happy winter solstice!
I like the idea that days are getting longer from now on.
In Japan, by the way, we eat pumpkin on this day, and I have pumpkin soup on the menu for tomorrow. :-)
Kym.

5:35 PM  
Blogger Borya said...

As for summer solstice, it is already a big holiday in some European countries. It's called St. Joan in Spain and you should see the fireworks! It is even # 1 holiday in scandinavian countries - midsummernight. It is special to them because the sun doesn't go down those days at all (as now it isn't coming up the horizon). I've never seen people get drunken like Swedish people in that night. The summer solstice is more important to them than Christmas etc.

3:07 AM  
Blogger Kym. said...

...and...
Merry Christmas!
Kym.

5:35 PM  
Blogger Adam Solomon said...

(Belated) Merry Christmas to you, Matt!

11:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home