Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Ottmar at work


Ottmar at work
Originally uploaded by Matt Callahan.
“Do you play guitar?” “Is that your brother?”. Over the last month I’ve gotten questions like these from co-workers, most people I’ve never met. They are responding to the pictures I have hanging on my cubicle wall. Two of these photos have been there for nearly a year. The others are from the concerts in Tucson and Phoenix last June. I’m not certain why it’s taken so long for the questions to surface.

Invariably, I’ll smile and explain my passion for Ottmar’s music and attempt to provide a description of what the music is like. After nearly four years of listening, it still takes far more time to express than most people have time to wait for. Some show an interest and others jut nod politely. In situations like these, I realize just how difficult it is to transfer feelings into words. Only experiencing the music itself will provide the answers for those who wish to feel it.

Can you see the family resemblance?

4 Comments:

Blogger Just Me said...

Too true. Lately when I jabber on excitedly about how I have tickets to see Ottmar in November I can never do justice to describing his music to people who have never heard of him. I just say , "trust me, it's magic."

6:24 AM  
Blogger MissMichindo said...

he kind of IS your brother.
you and ottmar could be like the russian matryoshka dolls -- where the smaller ones nest inside of the bigger ones. he looks awfully petite in that photo.

8:10 AM  
Blogger Adam Solomon said...

Yeah, it's the kind of thing that's tough to really get across, no? People don't know what they're missing...it's happened to all of us, I'm sure. "Wait, Boris, why are you going to New York again??" :)

12:33 PM  
Blogger Borya said...

How do u make people take their time to dive into some of Ottmar's songs? But then, how awful lots of people don't understand the temptation of classical music etc. When I zapp thru TV most of the time I don't understand anymore what's going on. And I'm 32 with the mind of an 18 year old......

I'm certainly not going to NYC for NYC itself. :) Hang around with Adam maybe ... @ Frida's ... do some crazy things, ha ... and I worry to take pics because all I want is sit at a venue, close my eyes and listen to Ottmar and Los Liebertee Boys play liiiiiiiive....

6:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home