Monday, November 07, 2005

Another Path

My normal daily routine takes me on short walks around the building I work in. The area is quiet and the landscape is reasonably nice. The lower area of the parking lot is a natural wash and there are some old growth trees there. The area is plagued by progress and construction continues all around us. During the summer months, I walk only in the morning. Now that autumn has arrived, I can walk anytime.

Today, I broke routine and headed out along one of the main roads, away from the building. I exchanged the relative silence of the parking lot for the hiss of traffic. Well, I cheated a bit. I had my daughter’s mp3 player and Ottmar’s bootleg recording of his 1999 tour took the edge off the sound of passing cars.

Heading away from the buildings, the deserts hold is still strong. Wildflowers have popped up along the sidewalk. The creosote smells wonderful as usual. The tiny leaves of this bush are such a vibrant green, if you touched them, your hand would come away wet with the color.

As usual, time is my enemy. Checking my watch, I knew it was time to turn around and head back to my desk. On the return trip, I realized that lately I had been thinking in incomplete sentences. This walk had allowed me finish some thoughts and hopefully make way for some new ideas.

The next time you have the choice, take a new way.

3 Comments:

Blogger Just Me said...

No matter where I am working I always try to take a lunch break, even if only for 15 minutes. Eating lunch at your desk is unhealthy in many ways. You need to regenerate. Funny how even if we do that, the break becomes a routine in itself. Creatures of habit.

Change for the sake of change isn't necessarily a bad thing.

8:18 AM  
Blogger Borya said...

This afternoon I took a walk in town to ask for some things. I realized that I was walking upright and that I was feeling quite well. I sensed that a new beginning had not yet started but that something had finally ended and something is about to start. The perspective is different now. For the last 5-6 years, such a walk wasn't easy what mainly was because of inner demons. But I also know that I cannot force such things, they need their time to come, or pass. A bit longer in my case maybe. And thankfully I manage to not be lazy in the meantime. :)

10:36 AM  
Blogger Kym. said...

Oh, oh Matt..
I always enjoy your blog… ALWAYS… but especially when I need some comfort, tranquilizer and peace to my mind, I come here to read your blog. Reading your writing helps a lot, you know… After each sentence I just close my eyes and see the picture…
Hey, and then, what do I read here???? “Time is your enemy”…???? Oh no, please, no!! Don’t say that, please!!
I know, yes, that “Time waits for no-one”… but have you ever thought that “Time is on your side”?? (Well, it’s on my side too)

:))))))
Kym.

8:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home